1010 - MEDIA OWNERSHIP CASE STUDY ACTIVITY
Names of Group Members Present:
Ansley Barry, Elizabeth Bright, Sarah Vela-Juarez
MODULE OUTCOMES ADDRESSED:
● Identify forms of integration within a real-world media company.
● Define conglomeritization and discuss its meaning with a real-world case study of a media
● Reflect on media ownership and what this merger will mean to consumers.
For this activity, you will want to refer back to concepts in Ch. 3, as well as your reading guide
and the attached articles.
For this assignment, we will utilize a current case study in the Disney/Fox merger.In March
2019, Disney purchased the film and TV assets held by 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion,
marking one of the largest media mergers ever.
For this activity, you will read about and discuss the following articles, and you may need to do a
little further research regarding Disney/Fox online. You may want to split up and discuss what
you find, as the articles are long:
1. In a sentence or two, provide one specific example of how vertical integration exists within
There is an example of vertical integration within Disney and the streaming apps they
use/own. Disney owns and has a bundle with Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN. You can stream
shows and movies on all three but its all under Disney.
2. In a sentence or two, provide one specific of how Disney has utilized horizontal integration.
Disney utilizes horizontal integration with their Disney princess movies and the franchise
of disney princesses. Disney has games, dolls, and even books with the classic Disney