CELPIP Preparation Program
Lesson 6: Listening Test and Review
Listening Test Booklet
Part 1: Listening to Problem Solving
1. The woman says her car
is making a lot of noise all of a sudden;
although it later emerges that the
muffler needs replacing, it cannot be the reason she brought the car in because the cause of the noise was
not known at the time.
2. The other options
—"angry", "impatient", and "puzzled"—
all indicate more intense emotional states,
whereas the woman is fairly neutral about the situation.
3. The man offers her a seat in the waiting room, and says there is
coffee and a pop machine
. He expects
that she will only need to wait 15 mins. or so, which is probably not enough time to leave and come back.
4. Nothing is mentioned about "door," "windshield," or "tire"; therefore, "muffler" is the only possible
5. "It is not the same quality, but it's still very good" means the same as "
lower in quality."
6. "Go right ahead" is an idiom meaning "please proceed." It does not indicate directions in this case.
7. "If you'll just come to reception,
your invoice is ready
"—"Invoice" is a bill showing the amount payable
for the repair.
8. The woman is obviously very satisfied with the service, and would gladly recommend the business to all
her friends and colleagues. She would be unlikely to do so if she thought the service were merely
Listening Test Booklet
Part 2: Listening to a Daily Life Conversation
1. From the statement "we've seen [the film] so many times" we know that the man and woman have
known each other for some time. Moreover, it is unlikely that co-workers or divorcees would share
offer to cook dinner
for one another.
2. While it is possible that they saw the movie before on TV, and it might reasonably be inferred that the
man wants to watch something new or do something else, option B. is a restatement of his exact words
we've seen it so many times
3. The woman says,
I'll make you a deal. If you come with me to see this movie, I'll cook your favourite
dinner tomorrow night,
as a way of getting him to agree to go to the movie. None of the other options
can reasonably be deduced.
says "Beer isn't allowed at
which means almost exactly the same as "...
it's illegal to
drink alcohol in a public park.
5. The man says, "Now you're talking! It's a deal!" indicating his acceptance of the woman's offer to cook
dinner in exchange for going to the movie.