Module 5: Legal Environment
Discussion: The Product-Liability Debate
General Discussion InstructionsYou are required to post to this discussion THREE TIMES, on THREE DIFFERENT DAYS. Please refer to the Discussion Grading Rubric for details regarding how your performance will be assessed. NOTE: Please be certain to read the entire discussion assignment since in some cases there is more than one question you need to discuss, respond to, or address. Be sure that you have answered the entire question!
Post 1: Initial PostThis posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph and a maximum of two paragraphs. Word totals for this post should be in the 100–200-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate.
PreparationConsider the following:
- A woman sued McDonald’s because she was burned by hot coffee;
- A man sued a motor home manufacturer after the vehicle crashed when he left the driver’s seat to fix himself a sandwich (he had the vehicle on cruise control);
- A woman sued a department store after she was injured by a falling display (pushed over by her own child);
- Millions of families lose loved ones to mesothelioma caused by prolonged exposure to asbestos.
These are all examples of product liability lawsuits that have made headlines in recent years. Non-attorney spokespeople advertise on behalf of law firms, seeking participants for class-action lawsuits. This is today’s product liability climate.
Research an instance of product liability that has resulted in a court decision within the last twelve to twenty-four months. It doesn’t matter if the decision was in favor of the plaintiff or the defendant; just be certain that you are able to report on the outcome of the lawsuit. Make sure to get a link and URL for case facts so that your classmates can follow up and read more about what you bring to the discussion. After you have read about the case and completed your research, post to the discussion as required below.
- Provide a brief synopsis of the case you read in preparation for this discussion. Be sure to include a URL and/or Web link in your post.
- Based on the case you read about, should the consumer bear more responsibility for product injuries, or should manufacturers bear more responsibility?
- How does product liability impact business operations and decisions?
- Do you believe that the current product-liability legal system is broken? Why or why not?
- If you believe it is broken, how would you fix it?
- If you believe it is working well, defend the system.
Posts 2 and 3: Respond to Classmates’ Posts
InstructionsAfter you have created your initial post, look over the discussion posts of your classmates and give at least two thoughtful responses to two different classmates (one per classmate) as outlined in the Discussion Grading Rubric.
A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–100-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic.